- The Cerrado is a vast tropical
savanna ecoregion of Brazil.
- The core areas are the plateaus in
the center of Brazil.
- Has high levels of endemism.
- Has enormous range of animal and
- World Wide Fund for Nature named it
the biologically richest savanna in the world with about 10,000 plant
species, 10 endemic bird species and 14 endemic mammal species.
- Originally covered almost 800,000
square miles (larger than Alaska).
- It is quickly being eradicated,
replaced with farm land.
Recently cleared Cerrado in Brazil.
Giant Anteater of the Cerrado