Chapter #3 - Physical Geography: Landforms
Mass Movement - the movement of material down
slopes under the influence of gravity.
Erosional Agents & Deposition
- Gradational Processes
- Weathering: is the name
given to processes that change the
surface material of the Earth as a result of exposure to the effects of
water and the atmosphere.
- Erosion means the
removal of material from one
position on the surface of the Earth to a different position, again by the
effects of water and the atmosphere.
- Mechanical Weathering
- abrasion - refers to the breaking and grinding away of solid rock
by collisions with moving particles.
- pressure release - expansion of rock as they are brought close to
the surface forming
- biologic effects - plant roots, burrowing animals, mining.
- Chemical Weathering
- reactions in the atmosphere:
- (carbonic acid) - H2O + CO2 = H2CO3
- oxydation - rust